Faculty Profile: Tasoulla Hadjiyanni
Tasoulla Hadjiyanni, Ph.D.
Specialties & Expertise
- Interior design
- Design pedagogy
- Cultural aspects of space
- Non-western traditions
Course Titles (resident and outreach teaching)
- IDes 3605: Interior Design Studio V
- IDes 3162: History of Furnishings and Interiors--1750 to present
- IDes 4165-5165: Design and Globalization
- Hadjiyanni, T. (2013).
Rethinking culture in interior design pedagogy – The potential beyond CIDA
Standard 2g. Journal of Interior Design, 38(3), v-xii.
- Hadjiyanni, T., & Helle, K. (2010). (Im)materiality and practice – Craft making as a medium for reconstructing Ojibwe identity in domestic spaces. Home Cultures, 7 (1), 57-86.
- Hadjiyanni, T. (2009). The aesthetics of displacement – Hmong, Somali, and Mexican home-making practices in Minnesota. International Journal of Consumer Studies - Special issue on Consumer Issues in Housing, 33, 541-549.
- Vahaji, S., & Hadjiyanni, T. (2009). The spatiality of veiling – Muslim women living in Minnesota homes. International Journal of Architectural Research, 3(2), 35-50.
- Hadjiyanni, T., & Helle, K. (2009). Re/claiming the past – Constructing Ojibwe identity in Minnesota homes. Design Studies, 30(4), 462-481.
- Hadjiyanni, T., & Kwon, J. (2009). The social dimension of security – Exploring how surveillance systems relate to Interior Design. Journal of Interior Design, 34(3), 1-15.
- Hadjiyanni, T. (2008). Beyond concepts - A studio pedagogy for preparing tomorrow’s designers. International Journal of Architectural Research, 2(2), 41-56.
- Hadjiyanni, T. (2007). Bounded choices – Somali women constructing difference in Minnesota housing. Journal of Interior Design, 32(2), 17-27.
- Hadjiyanni, T. (2002). The making of a refugee - Children adopting refugee identity in Cyprus. Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers.
Professional, Institutional, and Community Leadership and Service
- Interior Design Program Director, 2010–present.
- Board of the Environmental Design Research Association (EDRA). www.edra.org, 2011-present.
- Building Ties. Yearly exhibit of culturally sensitive housing designs created by students in DHA 3605 at the Hennepin History Museum, 2003-present.
- Chair of EDRA’s Residential Environments Network, 2005 - present.
- Inaugural member of the Women’s Faculty Cabinet, Spring 2006 – Spring 2008.
- EDRA Paper Reviewer (Environmental Design Research Association), intermittent since 2004.
- Imagine Fund - 2010–2013.
- Institute for Advanced Study – Fellow, Fall 2010.
- College of Design Outstanding Teaching Award-2009.
- Children, Youth, and Family Consortium–Fellow, 2009-2010.
- President’s Faculty Multicultural Research Award, 2009-2010 & 2006-2007.
- National Science Foundation/Industry University Cooperative Research Centers, Surveillance systems – Societal impacts and design approaches. 2008–2010.
- National Science Foundation – Engineering, Design issues and optimal camera placement. 2005 – Present (Papanikolopoulos, N. (PI), & Hadjiyanni, T. (Co-PI).
- Grant-in-Aid - 2006-2007.
Department of Design, Housing, and Apparel
491 McNeal Hall
1985 Buford Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108-6136