Faculty Profile: Sherri A. Gahring
Sherri A. Gahring
Specialties & Expertise
- Sustainability for small retailers
- Community Development and First Impressions
- Protective clothing for sun exposure and pesticide use
- Youth development through apparel
Course titles (resident and outreach teaching):
- ADes 1221 Fundamentals of Garment Assembly
- ADes 2214 Softlines Analysis
- Small Store Success Strategies
- Designing the Future: Community Strategies
- Sun Safety for Outdoor Workers
- Gahring, S., Bruin, M., Martinson, B., & Hannert, A. (2008). Integrating public engagement with community development at the University. Galaxy III National Extension Conference.
- Lee, S., Johnson, K., Gahring, S., & Lee, S. (2008). Business strategies of successful rural retailers in competition with large discount retailers. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 32(6), 969-979.
- Lee, S., Johnson, K., Gahring, S. (2008). Small-town consumers’ disconfirmation of expectations and satisfaction with local independent retailers. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 36(2), 143-157.
- Gahring, S., & Pesch, R. (2007). Using evaluation to improve retail analysis and development program. National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals. Philadelphia, PA.
- Gahring, S. (2007). Sun and heat stress protective clothing for outdoor workers. Midwest Green Expo., Minneapolis Convention Center.
- LaBat, K., DeLong, M., Gahring, S., & Lee, P. (2005). A longitudinal study of sun protective attitudes and behaviors. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 33(3), 240-254.
- Gahring, S. & LaBat, K. (2004). Evaluation of sun protective practices and attributes of outdoor transportation workers. International Textile and Apparel Association, Portland, Oregon. Available through: www.itaaonline.org.
- DeLong, M., Gahring, S., Bye, E., & Johnson, K. (2002). Using the Internet to enhance business opportunities in rural areas. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences, 94(3), 33-38.
Professional, Institutional, and Community Leadership and Service
- Extension Community Vitality Honors and Awards Committee, 2008-09.
- Extension Faculty Consultative Committee, 2007-08.
- College of Design Honors and Awards Committee (Chair) 2007-08.
- MN Textile Center, Education Outreach Chair, 2006-07.
- Co-Program Leader for the Retail Analysis and Development Extension Program, 2004-09.
- College of Design Outstanding Outreach Team Award, for Designing the Future: Community Strategies Project, 2008.
- Extension Dean and Director’s Double Bottom Line Award for the Retail and Analysis and Development Program, 2006.
- Extension Dean and Director’s Distinguished Team Award for the Retail and Analysis and Development Program, 2005.
- Minnesota Association for Extension Educators’ Team Award for Retail Analysis and Development Program, 2005.
- Excellence in Extension Community Vitality Programming award for the Retail Analysis and Development Extension Program, 2005.
- Outstanding Support to Minnesota 4-H, 2002.
- Outstanding Contributions to College and Community Award for the College of Human Ecology, 2000.
Apparel Design Program; Retail Merchandising Program
Department of Design, Housing, and Apparel
240 McNeal Hall
1985 Buford Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108-6136