Faculty Profile: Sauman Chu
Sauman Chu, Ph.D.
Specialties & Expertise
- Graphic Design
- Multilingual Design
- Interactive Design
- Design Education
- Cross-Cultural Research
Course Titles (resident and outreach teaching)
- GDes 2342 Web Design
- GDes 2351 Graphic Design I: Text and Image
- GDes 3352 Graphic Design II: Identity and Symbols
- GDes 5383 Animation
- GDes 5386 Fundamentals of Game Design
- Chu, S., & Mejia, G. (2012). Interactive learning for graphic design foundations. Journal of E-Learning and Digital Media, 9(4), 345-355.
- Bruin, M., Chu, S., Riha, J., Smoot, A., & Mejia, M. (2011). Smart Housing: An Intelligent Environment for Aging Independently. First International Smart Design Conference. 31-39.
- Chu, S., Paul, N., & Ruel. L. (2009). Using eye tracking technology to examine the effectiveness of design elements on news websites. Information Design Journal, 17(1), 31-43.
- Martinson B., & Chu, S. (2008) Game-based learning in design history. Handbook of Research on Effective Electronic Gaming in Education. Pennsylvania: IGI Global. 478-488.
- Chu, S. (2008) Digital game-based learning in higher education Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology, second Edition, volume III. Pennsylvania: IGI Global. 236-244.
- Chu, S. (2008). A case study: Teaching graphic design students about designing a bilingual brochure. Design Ed Asia: Sustaining Culture through Design Education. 35-46.
- Chu, S., Arango, M., & Yust, C. (2006). A case study: Creating and designing a bilingual resource website for Somali immigrants. Advances in Universal Web Design and Evaluation: Research, Trends and Opportunities. Pennsylvania: Idea Group Inc. 198-218.
- Martinson B., & Chu, S. (2006) Cross-cultural comparison on attributing meaning to corporate logos. Designing Effective Communications: Creating Contents for Clarity and Meaning. New York: Allworth Press. 201-215.
- Chu, S., & Martinson, B. (2003). Cross-cultural comparison of the perception of symbols. Journal of Visual Literacy, 23(1), 69-80.
- Martinson, B., & Chu, S. (2003). Graphic assimilation: New immigrants and social identity. Visible Language, 37(2), 222-233.
Professional, Institutional, and Community Leadership and Service
- University Senate Judicial Committee, Member. 2006-2012
- University Copyright Policy Advisory Committee, 2007
- University Senate, Member. 2000-2003
- Outreach and Engagement Committee, DHA Representative, 2004-2005. Chair, 2005-2006.
- International Program Committee, DHA Representative. 2000-2003. Chair, 2002-2003.
- DHA Policy and Advisory Committee, Chair. 2007-2009
- Reviewer, Designed Asia conferences. 2008-2012
- Reviewer, Handbook of Research on Effective Electronic Gaming in Education. Pennsylvania: IGI Global. Manuscripts. 2007
- Nominee for Teaching Excellence Award CDES, 2010
- Recipient, E-Teaching Excellence Award, 2006
- Nominee for McFarland Teaching Award, 2006
- Ramalynn Montessori Academy Website recieved third place at the Professional Category Design Educatiors Natioanl Exhibition, 2003.
- Abstration:Twelve Ages of Life II, Computer Illustration. Recieved first place the the 2D Visial Arts category. Design Educators National Exhibition, 2000.
- In the Beginning. Received second place at the Art Inspired by Literature Regional Exhibition, 2000.
Graphic Design Program
Department of Design, Housing, and Apparel
240H McNeal Hall
1985 Buford Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108-6136