Faculty Profile: Marilyn R. DeLong
Marilyn R. Delong, Ph.D.
Specialties & Expertise
- Apparel Design
- Apparel History
- Cross-Cultural Influences on Design
- Socio-psychological Aspects of Clothing
- Clothing Design
Course Titles (resident and outreach teaching:
- DHA 8164 Innovation Theory
- DHA 8167 Aesthetics
- DHA 8166 Material Culture
- Co-Editor of Fashion Practice, published two times per year in partnership with Fashion Theory, first issue completed for Spring, 2009
- DeLong, M. & Geum, K. 2008. "Promoting Cross Cultural Collaborations through Design," Full paper online publication for DesignEdAsia 2008 conference in HongKong.
- DeLong, M. & Park, J. 2008. "Touch Memories and the Influence of Gender," Senses & Society, 3:1, 23-44.
- Nelson, N., DeLong, M., Hegland, J., Thompson, M., & Williams G., October, 2007. "Constructing Knowledge for the Future: Exploring Alternative Modes of Inquiry from a Philosophical Perspective," Clothing & Textiles Research Journal. Vl. 25, 4, 323-348.
- DeLong, M., Wu, J., & Mingxin, B., 2007. “May I Touch it?” Textile, Vol. 5, 1,30-45.
- DeLong, M. 1999 2nd Edition. The Way We Look: Dress & Aesthetics. New York: Fairchild.
- Goldstein Exhibition Curator on numerous topics: sportswear, underwear, trends.
Professional, Institutional, and Community Leadership and Service
- International Textile and Apparel Assocation, 1969-present.
- DHA Clothing Design/Retail Merchandising Program, 1985-2005.
- Innovation and Mission Advancement Award, CHE, April 2006.
- Prentice Hall Lecturer, ITAA Annual Conference, Washington, D.C., 2005.
- Lifetime Achievement in Design & Aesthetics, ITAA, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2000.
- Tribute to Excellence Award, sponsored by Fashion Group International 1999.
- Program Excellence through Research, National Extension Award, 1998.
Apparel Design Program
Department of Design, Housing,
351 McNeal Hall
1985 Buford Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108-6136