Faculty Profile: Joanne B. Eicher
Joanne B. Eicher, Ph.D.
Specialties & Expertise
- Non-verbal Communication
- Cultural Dress
- Dress and Fashion
- India to Africa textile trade
- Cultural Authentication
- Body and Dress
Selected Scholarship: Books
- Eicher, J.B. Editor-in-Chief, (2010). Encyclopedia of World Dress and Fashion (10 vols). New York: Oxford University Press, (Also Co-Editor, Volume 1, Africa, and Editor, Volume 10, Global Perspectives).
- Eicher, J.B. Evenson, S.L, & Lutz, H.A. (2008). The Visible Self: Global Perspectives on Dress, Culture and Society, 3rd ed. New York: Fairchild Publishers.
- Eicher, J.B. and Ling, Lisa, (2005). Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood, Washington, D. C. National Geographic Society.
- Johnson, K.K.P., Torntore, S.J. and Eicher, J.B., (2003). Fashion Foundations: Early Writings on Dress. Oxford, UK, Berg Publishers
- Sciama, L., Eicher, J.B. (1998) Beads and Beadmakers: Gender, Material Culture, and Meaning. Oxford/New York. Berg Publishers.
- Eicher, J.B. (ed) (1995). Dress and Ethnicity: Chance Across Space & Time, Berg Publisher
- Roach-Higgins, M.E., Eicher, J.B., & Johnson, K.P. (Eds.). (1995). Dress and identity. New York: Fairchild Books.
Selected Scholarship: Articles and Book Chapters
- Eicher, J.B. forthcoming (2011) “The Body.” In Geczy, A and Karaminas, V., Crossovers:Art and Fashion. Oxford: Berg Publishers.
- Eicher, J.B. (2010. Dress, Fashion, and Cultural Meaning. In Bian, X. Fashion Industry and City Civilization. Shanghai: Donghua University Fashion Institute, pp. 144-164.
- Eicher, J.B. (2010). Foreword, In Suzanne Gott and Krystyne Loughrin, Contemporary African Fashion. Bloomington, IN, Indiana University Press., pp ix-xii.
- McKinney, E. and J.B, Eicher, (2009) Unexpected Luxury: Wild Silk Textile Production among the Yoruba of Nigeria., Textile: Journal of Cloth and Culture, Vol 7. Issue 1. pp. 40-55.
- Eicher, J.B., (2005). Kalabari Identity and Indian Textiles in the Niger Delta, in Crill, Rosemary, ed. Indian Trade Textiles, New Delhi.
- Eicher, Joanne B. (2004), Kalabari Splendor: Indian Gold-embroidery Velvets in Nigeria., In Dhamija, ed. Asian Embroidery, pp. 234-248 New Delhi: Abhinav Publications.
- Winge, T.M. and Eicher, J.B. (2003), The American Groom Wore a Celtic Kilt: Theme Weddings as Carnivalesque Events, In, Donald C. Johnson and Helen Bradley Foster, eds, Wedding Dress Across Cultures, Oxford, UK. Berg Publishers.
- Eicher, J.B. and Erekosima, T.V. (2002) Fitting Farewells, In Martha Anderson and Philip Peek, eds, Ways of the Rivers: Arts of the Niger Delta, Los Angeles, CA Fowler Museum of Cultural History, UCLA. Eicher, J.B. (2001) The Anthropology of Dress. Dress. 28, 50-79.
- Eicher, J.B. (2001). Dress, Gender, and the Display of Skin. In Joanne Entwistle and Elizabeth Wilson (eds.) Body Dressing. Oxford: Berg Publishers.
Professional, Institutional, and Community Leadership and Service
- Textile Research Center, Leiden, Netherlands, Member, Advisory Council, 2006-present
- Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minneapolis, MN, Advisory Board, Reinstall African Galleries, 2010-1011.
- International Scholarship Advisory Committee, University of Minnesota, 2006-2008
- 1978-present (ex-officio) Friends of the Goldstein Gallery Board
- Fellow, Costume Society of America, May 27, 2009.
- Darl Snyder Lecturer, African Studies Institute, University of Georgia, April 5, 2009
- Ada Comstock Distinguished Woman’s Faculty Award/Lecturer, University of Minnesota, Nov, 2007
- Bill Blass Lecturer, Apparel, Merchandising, and Design, Indiana University, April, 2007
- Leadership Award, Arts Council of African Studies Association, April, 2004
- Honorary Doctorate (Doctor of Humane Letters), Iowa State University, December, 2003
Regents Professor Emerita
Department of Design, Housing, and Apparel
207 McNeal Hall
1985 Buford Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108-6136