Faculty Profile: Joanne B. Eicher
Joanne B. Eicher, Ph.D.
Specialties & Expertise
- Non-verbal Communication
- Dress and Fashion
- Cultural Dress
- Body and Dress
- Cultural Authentication
- Dress, Body Culture book series, Bloomsbury Academic 1994-
- Dress and Fashion Research book series, Bloomsbury Academic 2013-
- Encyclopedia of World Dress and Fashion online in BergFashionLibrary.com, 2011-
- Eicher, J.B. Evenson, S.L, (2014). The Visible Self: Global Perspectives on Dress, Culture and Society, 4th ed. New York: Fairchild Publishers.
- Eicher, J.B. Editor-in-Chief, (2010). Encyclopedia of World Dress and Fashion (10 vols). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Eicher, J. B. and Ross, Doran, (Eds.).(2010). Volume 1, Africa, Encyclopedia of World Dress and Fashion. Encyclopedia of World Dress and Fashion. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Eicher, J. B. (Ed.). Volume 10, Global Perspectives, Encyclopedia of World Dress and Fashion. Encyclopedia of World Dress and Fashion. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Eicher, J.B. and Ling, Lisa, (2005). Mother, Daughter, Sister, Bride: Rituals of Womanhood, Washington, D. C. National Geographic Society.
- Johnson, K.K.P., Torntore, S.J. and Eicher, J.B., (2003). Fashion Foundations: Early Writings on Dress. Oxford, UK, Berg Publishers
- Sciama, L., Eicher, J.B. (Eds.). (1998) Beads and Beadmakers: Gender, Material Culture, and Meaning. Oxford/New York. Berg Publishers.
- Eicher, J.B. (ed) (1995). Dress and Ethnicity: Chance Across Space & Time, Berg Publisher.
- Roach-Higgins, M.E., Eicher, J.B., & Johnson, K.P. (Eds.). (1995). Dress and identity. New York: Fairchild Books.
Articles and Book Chapters
- Eicher, J.B. (2017, forthcoming) Marilyn Monroe: Fashion Icon, Bloomsbury Fashion Photographic Archive.
- Eicher, J.B. (2015). Doing Fashion Studies: Reflections on Methodology and Interdisciplinarity in the Encyclopedia of World Dress and Fashion, IN Jenss, H. (Ed.). Fashion Studies: Research Methods, Sites and Practices. Bloomsbury Academic, London and New York.
- Eicher, J.B. (2015). Subtle and Spectacular: Dressing in Kalabari Style, IN Rabinowitz, P. and Giorcelli, C. Habits of Being 4: Excess and Quotidian, Minneapolis, MN: University of MN Press.
- Eicher, J.B., (2014). The Sacred Use of Indian Textiles by the Kalabari of Nigeria, In Jasleen Dhamija, Ed. Sacred Textiles, New Delhi, Marg Publishers, pp. 94-105.
- Eicher, J.B. (2014). Foreword, in Lynch, A. and Strauss, M. Encyclopedia of Ethnic Dress in the United States. (Walnut Cree, CA: Altamira Press).
- Eicher, J.B. (2012) “The Body.” In Geczy, A and Karaminas, V., Crossovers: Art and Fashion. Oxford: Berg Publishers.77-86.
- Lillethun, A., Welters, L, and Eicher, J.B., (2012). (Re)Defining Fashion in Dress, Dress, Vol 38: pp. 75-97
- Eicher, J.B. (2010). Dress, Fashion, and Cultural Meaning. In Bian, X. Fashion Industry and City Civilization. Shanghai: Donghua University Fashion Institute, pp. 144-164.
- Eicher, J. B. (2010). Foreword. In Daniel Delis Hill, History of World Costume and Fashion, Upper Saddle River, N. J., Prentice Hall. P. xii.
- Eicher, J.B. (2010). Foreword, In Suzanne Gott and Krystyne Loughrin, Contemporary African Fashion. Bloomington, IN, Indiana University Press., pp ix-xii.
- McKinney, E. and J.B, Eicher, (2009) Unexpected Luxury: Wild Silk Textile Production among the Yoruba of Nigeria., Textile: Journal of Cloth and Culture, Vol 7. Issue 1. pp. 40-55.
- Eicher, J.B., (2005). Kalabari Identity and Indian Textiles in the Niger Delta, in Crill, Rosemary, ed. Indian Trade Textiles, New Delhi.
Professional, Institutional, and Community Leadership and Service
- Keynote Address, London College of Fashion, Symposium on Fashion and the Senses, 2015, “Dress, The Senses, and the Public, Private, and Secret Selves.”
- Textile Research Center, Leiden, Netherlands, Member, Advisory Council, 2006-present
- Textile Society of America Board, 2008-2012
- Distinguished Alumni Award, College of Social Science, Michigan State University, May 5, 2012
- Fellow, Costume Society of America, May 27, 2009; International Textile and Apparel Association, 1989.
- Ada Comstock Distinguished Woman’s Faculty Award/Lecturer, University of Minnesota, Nov, 2007
- Leadership Award, Arts Council of African Studies Association, April, 2004
- Honorary Doctorate (Doctor of Humane Letters), Iowa State University, December, 2003
Regents Professor Emerita
Department of Design, Housing, and Apparel
240 McNeal Hall
1985 Buford Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108-6136