Faculty Profile: Elizabeth Bye
Elizabeth (Missy) Bye, Ph.D.
Specialties & Expertise
- Wearable Product Design Center: Innovations Studio
- Sizing and Fit
- High Tech/High Touch
- Apparel Technology
Course Titles (resident and outreach teaching)
- ADes 2221 Apparel Design Studio I
- ADes 3223 Apparel Design Studio III
- ADes 3225 Apparel Design Research
- ADes 4225 Apparel Design Studio V
- DES 8112 Design Theory and Criticism
- Bye, E. (October 2010). Fashion Design. Oxford: Berg.
- Bye, E., & Sohn, M. (2010). Technology, tradition and creativity in apparel designers: A study of designers in three US companies. Fashion practice, 2(2), 199-222.
- Bye, E. (2010). A direction for clothing and textile design research. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 28(3), 205-217.
- Bye, E., & McKinney, E. (2010). Fit analysis using 3-D and live fit models. International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology, 22(2/3), 88-100.
- Chen, C., LaBat, K., & Bye, E. (2010). Physical characteristics related to bra fit. Ergonomics, 53(4), 514-524.
- Bye, E., LaBat, K., McKinney, E., & Kim, D. (2008). Optimized pattern grading. International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology, 20(2), 79-92.
- Bye, E., & McKinney, E. (2007). Sizing up the wardrobe: Why we keep clothes that do not fit. Journal of Fashion Theory, 11(4), 483-498.
- Bye, E., LaBat, K., & DeLong, M.R. (2006). An analysis of body measurement methods for apparel. Clothing and Textile Research Journal, 24(2), 66-79.
- Bye, E., & LaBat, K. (2005). An integrated strategy for an apparel design curriculum. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences, 97(4), 60-65. (Authors contributed equally)
- Bye, E., & LaBat, K. (2005). An analysis of apparel industry fit sessions, Journal of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management, 4(3), 5 pages. (electronic journal only) (editor reviewed)
- Bye, E., & Hakala, L. (2005). Sailing apparel for women: A design development case study. Clothing and Textile Research Journal, 23(1), 45-55.
- Bye, E., & LaBat, K. (2005). Hi-tech fashion. In V. Steele (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Clothing and Fashion (pp. 205-209). Detroit: Charles Scribner’s Sons. (editor reviewed)
Professional, Institutional, nd Community Leadership and Service
- Apparel Design Program Director, 2006-2011.
- DHA Policy and Advisory Committee: Chair, 2001-02; Member, 2000-01, 2002-04, 2007-present, Chair 2009-10.
- CDes Faculty Consultative Committee, elected Member-at-large, 2010-2011.
- CDes Educational Policy Committee, Member 2006-2008, 2009-2010.
- International Textiles and Apparel Association, VP Education, 2009-2012.
- Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, Editorial Board, 2011-present.
- Clothing and Textiles Research Journal Associate Editor, Design and Aesthetics, 2004-2007.
- CDes Outstanding Teaching Award, 2010.
- Lectra Innovation Award for Faculty Research, 2007.
- Innovation and Mission Advancement Award, College of Human Ecology, 2006.
- Design Institute Fellow, University of Minnesota, 2002.
Professor and Department Head
Apparel Design Program
Department of Design, Housing, and Apparel
240d McNeal Hall
1985 Buford Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108-6136