Faculty Profile: Denise A. Guerin
Denise A. Guerin, Ph.D.
Specialties & Expertise
- Occupant Issues in Sustainable Buildings
- Health, Safety, and Welfare by Interior Designers
- Development of the Interior Design Profession
Course Titles (resident and outreach teaching)
- IDes 1601 Interior Design Studio I
- IDes 3614 Interior Design Ethics and Professional Practice
- IDes 4196 Internship in DHA-Interior Design
- IDes 4608 Interior Design Thesis
- IDes 4615W Interior Design Research
- DES 8112 Design Theory and Criticism
- Martin, C., & Guerin, D. (Eds.). (2010). The State of the Interior Design Profession. New York: Fairchild Publications.
- Turpin, J., & Guerin, D., (2010). Women in interior design: The development of leaders. In K. O’Connor, (Ed.), Gender & Women’s Leadership: A Reference Handbook. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Guerin, D. (2010). Redefining “qualified.” In C. Martin & D. Guerin (Eds.), The State of the Interior Design Profession. Essay in chapter 7. New York: Fairchild Publications.
- Guerin, D., & Kwon, Ja In. (2010). Welfare: Can you talk about your specialized knowledge? In C. Martin & D. Guerin, The State of the Interior Design Profession. Essay in chapter 10. New York: Fairchild Publications.
- Guerin, D., & Martin, C. (2010). The interior design profession’s body of knowledge and its relationship to health, safety, and welfare. Indianapolis, IN: Council for Interior Design Accreditation, American Society of Interior Designer, Interior Designers of Canada, International Interior Design Association, and the National Council for Interior Design Qualification.
- Lee, Y., & Guerin, D. (2010). Indoor environmental quality differences between office types in LEED-certified buildings in the US. Building and Environment, 45(5), 1104-1112.
- Lee, Y., & Guerin, D. (2009). Indoor environmental quality related to occupant satisfaction and performance in LEED-certified buildings. Journal of Indoor and Built Environment, 18(4), 293-300.
- Kang, M., & Guerin, D. (2009). The characteristics of interior designers who practice environmentally sustainable interior design. Environment and Behavior, 4(2), 170-184.
- Kang, M., & Guerin, D. (2009). The state of environmentally sustainable interior design practice. American Journal of Environmental Sciences, 5(2), 161-168.
Professional, Institutional, and Community Leadership and Service
- Interior Design Educators Council, President, 2010-11
- National Academy of Environmental Design (2010- Present). Steering Committee.
- International Scientific Committee. (2010-2011). Member.
- International Federation of Interior Architects/Designers, Design Frontiers: The Interiors Entity.
- Commission for Academic Accreditation, Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, United Arab Emirates, Site Visitor to Eight Interior Design Programs in the UAE (2003-2008).
- Council for Interior Design Accreditation, Site Visitor and Team Chair
- Admired Design Educator 2009 and 2011, Design Intelligence
- Education Leader, Association of Registered Interior Designers of Ontario, 2010
- Lifetime Achievement Award, IIDA Northland Chapter, 2010
- Fellow of the American Society of Interior Designers, 2009
- American Society of Interior Designers, 2007 Educator of Distinction, National Chapter
- Louis Tregue/NCIDQ Award for Outstanding Contribution to Interior Design Practice, 2003
- American Society of Interior Designers, International, Presidential Award, 2003
- Michael Tatum Excellence in Education Award, International Interior Design Association, 2002
- Fellow of the Interior Design Educators Council, 1999
Morse-Alumni Distinguished Professor
Interior Design Program
Department of Design, Housing, and Apparel
497 McNeal Hall
1985 Buford Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108-6136