Faculty Profile: Caren S. Martin
Caren S. Martin, Ph.D., CID, FASID
Specialties & Expertise
- Evidence-based design
- Professionalzation of interior design and legal recognition of the profession
- The interior design profession's body of knowledge
- Learning environments for children with autism
Course Titles (resident and outreach teaching)
- IDes 2612 Interior Materials and Specifications
- IDes 2613 Lighting Design and Life Safety Issues
- IDes 3606 Interior Design Studio VI
- IDes 4607 Interior Design Studio VII
- DES 5168 Evidence-Based Design
- Guerin, D., & Martin, C. (2010). The interior design profession’s body of knowledge and its relationship to health, safety, and welfare. Indianapolis, IN: Council for Interior Design Accreditation, American Society of Interior Designer, Interior Designers of Canada, International Interior Design Association, and the National Council for Interior Design Qualification. (Co-author).
- Trzpuc, S., & Martin, C. (2010). Application of space syntax theory in the study of medical-surgical nursing units in urban hospitals. Health Environments Research & Design Journal, 4(1), 34-55.
- Martin, C. (2010). Guest editor’s column: Establishing a substantial link between human and environmental welfare. Health Environments Research & Design Journal, 4(1), 3-5.
- Martin, C., & Kroelinger, M. (2010). 2009 accreditation requirements: Comparison of CIDA and NAAB. Journal of Interior Design, 35(2), ix-xxxii. (Co-author).
- Martin, C., & Guerin, D. (2010, February). The state of the interior design profession. New York: Fairchild Books. (ISBN 978-56367-920-9).
- Martin, C. (2009). The challenge of integrating evidence-based design. Health Environments Research & Design Journal, 2(3), 29-50.
- Zollinger, S., Guerin, D., Hadjiyanni, T., & Martin, C. (2009). Deconstructing service-learning: A framework for interior design. Journal of Interior Design, 34(3), 31-45.
- Martin, C. (2008). Rebuttal to the Institute for Justice report entitled “Designing cartels, how industry insiders cut out competition.” Journal of Interior Design, 33(3), 1-49.
- Martin, C. Research and creative scholarship. (2008). In K. Ankerson & J. Pable (Eds.), Interior design: Practical strategies for teaching and learning, 20-21. New York, NY: Fairchild.
- Martin, C. (2007). Interior design: From practice to profession. Washington, DC: American Society of Interior Designers.
Professional, Institutional, and Community Leadership and Service
- American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) National Legislative and Codes Advisory Council, 2009-2011.
- Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA), Board of Visitors, 2001-2006; 2007-2010.
- Interior Design Educators Council (IDEC), Legislative Liaison to the Board of Directors, 2007-present.
- Journal of Interior Design (JID), Academic ad hoc reviewer, 2007 – present
- Minnesota Interior Design Legislative Action Committee (MIDLAC), Steering Committee, Member, 2002 – present.
- College of Design Centers Policy and Advisory Committee, Member-at-Large, 2008-2010.
- Minnesota Board of Architecture, Engineering, Land Surveying, Landscape Architecture, Geoscience, and Interior Design (AELSLAGID) Certified Interior Designer Board Member (2000-2008); Rules Committee Member, 2000-present, chair, 2001, 2006; Classes of Buildings Sub-committee Member, 2004; Board Delegate to NCIDQ, 2000-2007.
- College of Design Constitution Task Force, DHA member, 2006-2008.
- Education Leadership Award, Association of Registered Interior Designers of Ontario (ARIDO), 2010.
- Finalist for the IDEC Award of Excellence – Best Presentation, IDEC Annual Conference, 2010.
- Nomination for College of Design Outstanding Outreach Award, 2010.
- Presidential Citation, American Society of Interior Designers, 2003, 2008.
- Presidential Award for Outstanding Service to the Profession, Interior Design Educators Council, 2008.
- Certificate of Appreciation, Journal of Interior Design Reviewer, Interior Design Educators Council, 2008.
- Service Award, 2008 Annual IDEC Conference Abstract Reviewer, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Certificate of Appreciation in Recognition of Outstanding Service, American Society of Interior Designers, Minnesota Chapter, 2005, 2006, 2007.
Director, Interior Design Program
Executive Program Director, InformeDesign®
Department of Design, Housing, and Apparel
490 McNeal Hall
1985 Buford Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108-6136