Faculty Profile: Becky L. Yust
Becky L. Yust, Ph.D.
Specialties & Expertise
Course Titles (resident and outreach teaching)
- Housing adequacy and affordability
- Housing decisions and theory
- Energy consumption and conservation
- Homeownership initiatives
- HSG 4461 Housing Development and Management
- HSG 4467W/5467 Housing and the Social Environment
- HSG 5471 Housing Studies Certificate Seminar
- DES 8181 Research and Ethics
- Crull, S., Cook, C., Bruin, M., Yust, B., Shelly, M., Laux, S.,
Memken, J., Niemeyer, S., & White, B. (2009). Evidence of a housing
decision chain in rural community vitality. Rural Sociology, 74(1),
- Yust, B., Bruin, M., Bellefuil, S., & Dodor, B. (2008). The Emerging Markets Homeownership Initiative: Pilot Organization and Participant Experiences. CURA Reporter, 38(3-4), 3-9.
Yust, B., Bruin, M., & Bellefuil, S. (2008). Innovation in design of
affordable housing. Report to the McKnight Foundation, Minneapolis,
- Niemeyer, S., Cook, C., Memken, J., Crull, S., Bruin, M., White B., & Yust, B. (2006). Local housing and service decisions: Planning for aging adults in rural communities. Journal of Housing for the Elderly, 20(4), 4-22.
- Yust, B., Laux, S., Bruin, M., Crull, S., Memken, J., White, B., Cook, C., & Niemeyer, S. (2006). Housing needs in rural communities. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences, 98(4), 15-19.
Olson, W., Yust, B., & Cheple, M. (2006). Kitchens. Chapter 6 in
Midwest House Planning Handbook (MWPS-16) (pp. 49-60). Ames, IA: Iowa
State University Press.
- Cook, C., Steggel, C., Suarez, A., & Yust, B. (2005). Housing affordability. In Merrill, J., Crull, S., Tremblay, K., Tyler, L., & Carswell, A. (Eds.), Introduction to Housing (pp.225-256). New York: Prentice Hall.
- Jordan, C., Yust, B., Robison, L., Hannan, P., & Deinard, A. (2003). A randomized trial of education to prevent lead burden in high risk children: Efficacy as measured by blood lead monitoring. Environmental Health Perspectives, 111(16), 1947-1951.
- Yust, B., Guerin, D., & Coopet, J. (2002). Residential energy consumption: 1987 to 1997. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 30(3), 323-350.
- Hartje, S., Yust, B., Goetz, E., & Franklin, E. (2001). Twin tragedies in the Twin Cities: Childhood lead poisoning and the loss of affordable rental housing. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal. 29(3), 230-251.
- Yust, B., & Memken, J. (2000). Housing as an indicator of rural vitality: The methodology. Housing and Society, 27(1), 7-15.
- Guerin, D., Yust, B., & Coopet, J. (2000). Occupant predictors of household energy behavior and consumption change as found in energy studies since 1975. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 29(1), 48-80.
- Cheple, M., & Yust, B. (1999). Moisture problems in houses built in 1991 and 1992 in Minnesota. Housing and Society, 26(1-3), 26-40.
Professional, Institutional, and Community Leadership and Service
- Housing and Society, Journal of the Housing Education and Research Association, Editor, 2008 to present.
- Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity, Housing Matters! Advisory Team, member, 2008.
- St. Paul District 9 Comprehensive Plan Committee, Chair, 2004 to 2006.
- Phillips Neighborhood Healthy Housing Collaborative- 1994 to 2003.
- Housing Studies Program Committee, 1982 to present.
- The American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers Blue Ribbon Award for the Educational Aids Competition, The House Handbook, 2006.
- West 7th/Fort Road Federation Exceptional Service to the Community Award, 2002.
- College of Human Ecology Educational Leadership Award, 1997.
Professor and Program Director
Housing Studies Program
Department of Design, Housing,
246f McNeal Hall
1985 Buford Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108-6136