Faculty Profile: Brad Hokanson
Brad Hokanson, RA, Ph.D
Specialties & Expertise
- Graphic Design
- Cognitive Tools
- Interactive Media
- Visual Thinking and Communication
Course Titles (resident and outreach teaching)
DES 1111 Creative Problem Solving
- Clinton, G. & Hokanson, B. (2012). Creativity in the training and practice of instructional designers: The Design/Creativity Loops Model. Educational Technology Research and Development. 60 111-130.
- Hokanson, B. (2012). The design critique as a model for distributed learning, in Huett, J. & Moeller, L., New directions in distance learning. Springer-Verlag.
- Hokanson, B. (2012). The design critique as a model for distributed learning. In Moller, L. & Huett, J. (Eds.) The next generation of distance education: Unconstrained learning. New York: Springer-Verlag. ISBN 978-1-4614-1784-2 [publication date: 2.29.12]
- Hokanson, B. & Hooper, S. (2010). Integrating Technology in Classrooms: We have met the enemy and he is us. in Anglin, G. (Ed.), Instructional Technology: Past, present, and future. Santa Barbara: Libraries Unlimited. 137-144. ISBN-13: 978-1563088063
- Hokanson, B. (2010), in Martin, C. & Guerin, D., (Eds.), The State of the Interior Design Profession. Beyond function: Creativity in design. New York: Fairchild
- Hokanson, B., in Horwitz, S. (2009), Desaparacedos: A tribute to Argentina's disappeared. Foreword to exhibition catalog. Minneapolis: Plaza Books.
- Miller, C., Hokanson, B., Doering, A., & Brandt, T. (2010). Role-Based Design: Design Experiences, Educational Technology 50(6) 48-55.
- Hokanson, B. & Miller, C. (2010). The Engineer and Craftsperson: Scientific Realization and Experienced Evolution through Role-Based Design, Educational Technology 50(1) 48-55.
- Helle, K., & Hokanson, B. (2009). Between 2: Tango as Interactive Design, Interacting with computers, 21(1-2), 125-132.
- Hokanson, B. & Miller, C. (2009). Role-based design: A contemporary framework for innovation and creativity in instructional design. Educational Technology 49(2) 21-28.
- Hokanson, B. (2008). Too early: Circadian influences in measured creativity. In Puccio, Burnett, Cabra, Fox, Keller-Mathers, Murdock, and Yudess, (Eds). Proceedings of the 2nd Community Meeting of the International Journal of Creativity and innovation Management. (266-276).
- Hokanson, B., Miller, C., & Hooper, S. (2008). Role based design: A contemporary perspective for innovation in instructional design. Tech Trends. 52(6) 36-43.
- Hokanson, B., & Fraher, R. (2008). Narrative structure, myth and cognition for instructional design. Educational Technology.
- Hokanson, B. (2007). The virtue of paper. In L. Botturi & T. Stubbs (Eds.). Handbook of visual languages in instructional design. pp. 76-90. Hershey, PA: IDEA Group.
- Hokanson, B., Hooper, S., & Miller, C. (2007). Commodity, firmness, and delight: Four models of instructional design practice. In L. Botturi & T. Stubbs (Eds.). Handbook of visual languages in instructional design. pp. 1-17. Hershey, PA: IDEA Group.
- Hokanson, B. (2007). By measure: Creativity in design. Journal of Industry and Higher Education, 21(5) 353-359.
- Hokanson, B. (2006). Creativity in the design curriculum. Journal of Visual Literacy, 26(1), 41-52.
- Hokanson, B., & Hooper, S. (2004). Levels of teaching: A taxonomy for instructional design. Educational Technology. 44(6), 14-22. Reprinted (2006) in the Distance Education Journal (China)
- Hooper, S., & Hokanson, B., (Eds.). (2002). A learning software design competion. Educational Technology, 42(5), 5-28.
- Hokanson, B. (2001). Silk and Silicon:Technology paradigms and education. Educational Technology, 41(3), 42-45.
- Hokanson, B., & Hooper, D. (2000). Computers as cognitive media: Defining potential of computers in education. Computers and Human Behavior, 16(5), 537-552.
- Hokanson, B. (2000). Why I have to paint: The importance of learning through one’s fingers in a digital world. Art and Academe: A Journal for the Humanities and Sciences in the Education of Artists, 11(2), 17-24.
- Hokanson, B., & Hooper, S. (2001). Observations from a learning software design competition. Tech Trends, 45(2), 3-4. (Co-author).
- Hokanson, B. (2001). Digital image creation and analysis as a means to examine learning and cognition. In M. Beynon, C. Nehaniv, & K. Dautenhahn, (Eds.), Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Cognitive Technology. Berlin: Springer.
- Hokanson, B. (2001). If Einstein could paint: An investigation into the use of symbol systems and cognition, in Griffin, R., et al. (Eds.). Natural Vistas: Selected Readings of the International Visual Literacy Association. State College, PA: IVLA.
Professional, Institutional, and Community Leadership and Service
College of Design Blue Ribbon [planning] Panel, 2009.
Design Institute interim director, Spring 2010.
- Outstanding Teaching Award, College of Design, May 2008.
- McFarland Creative Teaching Award from the College of Human Ecology, 2002.
Director of Educational Futures
College of Design
Professor, Graphic Design Program
Department of Design, Housing, and Apparel
32 McNeal Hall
1985 Buford Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108-6136