Faculty Profile: Abimbola Asojo
Abimbola Asojo, Ph.D.
Specialties & Expertise
- Cross-cultural design
- Architectural lighting design
- African architecture
- Computing and design
- Global design
- IDES 4607 Interior Design Studio VII
- IDES 2613 Lighting Design and Life Safety
- IDES 2604 Interior Design Studio IV
- IDES 2621 Computer Aided Design
- Asojo, A.O. (2011). Nigeria. In V. Jani (Ed.), Diversity in Design Perspectives from the non-Western World (pp. 153-193). New York, NY: Fairchild Publications, Inc.
- Asojo, A. O. (2011). Pedagogical models from a lighting design studio. In K. Domke and C.A Brebbia (Eds.), Light in Engineering, Architecture and the Environment, (pp. 71-80). United Kingdom: WIT Press
- Asojo, A. O., Jani, V.J. & Amor, C. (2010). An Instructional Design on Yoruba, Gujarati and Algerian Spaces. Design Principles and Practices: An International Journal. 4(3), 63-82.
- Asojo, A. O. & Pober, E. F. (2009). Building Information Modeling (BIM) Strategies: Pedagogical Models for Interior Design. Design Principles and Practices: An International Journal. 3(2), 159-167.
- Erdener, E. & Asojo, A. O. (2009). Illuminating the Past, Present and Future: Architectural and Lighting Design in Historic Buildings – A Collaborative Learning Experience. Design Principles and Practices: An International Journal. 3(2), 249-259.
- Asojo, A. O. (2008). Hybrid Forms in the Built Environment: A Case Study of African Cities. In T. Falola, N. Afolabi, and A. Adesanya (Eds.), Migrations and Creativity in Africa and the African Diaspora (pp. 135-145). North Carolina, Durham: Carolina Academic Press.
- Asojo, A. O. (2007). Technology as a Tool for Globalization: Cross-Cultural Collaborative Design Studio. Journal of Interior Design. 33(2), 23-36.
- Asojo, A. O. (2001). A Model for Integrating Culture-Based Issues in Creative Thinking and Problem Solving. Journal of Interior Design. 27(2), 46-58.
- Asojo, A. O. (2000). Design Algorithms After Le Corbusier. ACADIA Quarterly. 19 (4), 17-24.
- Leigh, K. E. and Asojo, A.O. (1999). A Spiritual Celebration of Cultural Heritage. Traditional Dwellings and Settlements Review. X(11), p.46-59.
Professional, Institutional, and Community Leadership and Service
- Journal of Interior Design Review Board 2004 to date
- Member, Interior Design Educator Council, 1998-to date.
- Educator Member, International Association of Lighting Designers (IALD) Fall 2008 to date.
- Member at Large, Mid-American Alliance for African Studies, 2007 to date.
- Member, American Institute of Architects, 1997- to date.
- Licensed Architect State of Oklahoma #A4988
- NCIDQ Certificate no 21989
- LEED Accredited Professional
- 2012 Image Fund Award
- 2011 Interior Design Educators Council Teaching Excellence Award
- 2010 International Association of Lighting Designers Trust Fund Award
- 2010 Design Intelligence Most Admired Educator
- 2008 Nuckolls Fund for Lighting Education
- 2002 Nuckolls Fund Edison Price Fellow.
- 2002 Focus Fellow, Georgia Institute of Technology
- 2000 Interior Design Educators Southwest Regional Conference Best Paper/Presentation
Interior Design Program
Department of Design,
Housing, and Apparel
488 McNeal Hall
1985 Buford Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108-6136